Navjot Singh Sidhu’s first day in jail: Road rage case of 1988

Navjot Singh Sidhu’s first day in jail: Road rage case of 1988


On Thursday, Supreme Court announced a 1-year sentence for Navjot Singh Sidhu in the road rage case of 1988.

On Friday, the authorities took Navjot Singh Sidhu to the Patiala Central jail. He surrendered himself to the court’s order announced in the road rage case of 1988. The congress politician will have to serve one-year imprisonment.

The media advisor of Sidhu, SurinderDalla, informed the media that the former had surrendered himself before the Magistrate. Currently, he is in judicial custody. The officials will adopt all the required legal procedures and medical examinations.

The court acquitted on the charges of culpable homicide. However, the jury convicted him for the voluntary offense of hurting someone. The apex court has imposed a fine of 1000 rupees on Sidhu. It also acquitted Rupinder Singh Sidhu’s associate, who was also involved in the incident.

On September 22, 1999, the judge of Patiala Sessions Court acquitted Rupinder and Sidhu. At that time, due to the lack of evidence, both of them got the benefit of the doubt.

But, the family members of the victim challenged this decision before Haryana and Punjab High Court in 2006. The court convicted both of them and gave a sentence of three years. Afterward, he went to appeal in the apex court and challenged this decision.

What was the 1988 road rage case?

On December 27, 1988, Rupinder Singh and Navjot Sidhu fought with 65-year-old Gurnam Singh. Both of them allegedly hit Gurnam on his head, resulting in his death. The incident took place when he was on the Indian cricket team playing as an active international cricketer.

How would Navjot Singh Sidhu spend his day in jail?

1. The day in the prison begins at 5:30 am.

2. 7 am, is the time for breakfast, which includes black chickpeas with biscuits and tea.

3. He will get brunch at 8:30 am, having six chapatis, vegetables or dal. After the brunch, prisoners start with their work.

4. At 5:30 pm, all the prisoners would finish the work allotted to them according to their categories.

5. They get dinner at 6 pm with six chapatis with veggies or lentils.

6. At 7 pm, they get locked in their cells.

The case got dragged on for more than 30 years, starting from the Sessions Court to the apex court. The Patiala sessions court acquitted Sidhu in September 1999 due to a lack of evidence.

However, the family of the victims took the case to higher courts. In 2007, the Punjab High court convicted him and ordered three years of imprisonment. He then challenged this order in the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court convicted him for voluntarily hurting a person in 2018. But acquitted him on the charges of culpable homicide and let him go after paying a fine of Rs1000.

The victim’s family later went for a review plea in the Supreme Court against this judgment. Sidhu opposed this plea citing the earlier judgment of the apex court.

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Live Updates COVID-19 CASES
Bengali Bengali English English Gujarati Gujarati Hindi Hindi Malayalam Malayalam Marathi Marathi Tamil Tamil Telugu Telugu Urdu Urdu